Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Do you know what Love is? 


Love has always been a powerful word, and  most people in our culture today use it not really understanding what love really means!  I believe it is  human nature to believe that if you have strong feelings or a strong attachment or fixation to someone then you must love them, and especially as it pertains to being in a relationship with the opposite sex.  Also as it pertains to friendships and family relationships we often believe based on our over joyous and favorable feelings for a person that we must love them.  But what happens when our love is put on trial? How do we respond when the person or the people we say we love, are no longer behaving in a way that favors us? Do you still love that person, or do you become resentful and hateful  towards them? 

We can say we love but if our actions don't match that, then its not true.  It is very important and especially as Christians to understand what real love is and to ask God to perfect our love every day. As I was studying 1 Corinthians 13:4-8 today, I realized that Love has nothing to do with us, and everything to do with the people around us. (I must admit, I had to repent to God after reading over that list because I know I am not up to par!)  Most of us can love as long as love is being returned to us, but when things start to look a little one sided our "love" is put to the test.  Do we really love others, or are we more in love with ourselves? 

Sometimes,  I think we have pride issues, we can walk around with a sense of entitlement and we feel that we deserve more than what comes our way. But when it comes to Love it is an outward affection and has nothing to do with pleasing yourself, but is all about the other people in your life that you say you love. 

So! Let's take another look at this love list shall we!   


1 Corinthians 13:4-8

Love Suffers Long
Love is Kind
Love does not Envy
Love does not Boast
Love is not Proud
Love does not behave unseemly
Love does not seek her own, and is not easily provoked
Love thinks no evil
Love does not rejoice in iniquity, but in truth
Love bears All things, believes All things, hope All things, endures All things.  
Love NEVER Fails..

Wow...So how does your love measure up? 





2 comments:

  1. GREAT post!! I have been going through several scriptures and trying to meditate on them myself. Thanks for posting this... definitely makes you "re-think" how much people use the word love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey CuteCurlyCurvy thanks for following me over here! Yes this was a wake up call for me too as I was meditating on it. I love it when the spirit opens up the scriptures to us, I will be posting more often, so don't be a stranger :)

    ReplyDelete